Friday, July 15, 2016

LET ME PARENT!

Do you happen to know how many times I say this phrase over and over again in a day? A.LOT.

I have a very independent 3 year old and a sibling set who the oldest (3) is comfortable and confident in being the parent of her other siblings and anyone else who will let her. So multiple times a day when someone needs help or a dispute occurs (I know you are shocked to hear those happen in our perfect family) I find my 3 year olds ready to duke it out and parent the smaller children. They love to help even when their help looks like dragging the baby by her hair across the floor or "moving" the two year old to a place out of their way, or dressing their siblings forcefully because they themselves have not completely mastered the art of dressing themselves...whatever the situation I find myself multiple times a day telling them to let me parent or trust me to be the mommy. It has gotten WAY better than it was in the beginning but still days (mainly after visits) we struggle in this way all of us desperately trying to find our place and role in this family. Tonight I was driving and it was like a light bulb went off...

You know I find myself doing this same dang thing with God. So many times I think I know best. So many things I try and am confident if I just can fix it before He intervenes that it is better that way. I find myself getting exhausted trying to control situations that were never mine to control. I wonder if God is saying the same things to me...LET.ME.PARENT. Trust me enough to know I have your back. Trust me enough to know that I will protect you from harm, guide you as you grow, and love you to the moon and back. Let Me be in control and you sit back and be my child. The peace I feel when I think of wrestling with those statements with God and what my life would look life if I lived by those truths...that's the peace I long for my girls to find. The peace that just lets them be children. The light heartedness that just comes from being loved. You don't have to parent, just be my child. You don't have to be in charge, just trust that I am working on your behalf. You don't have to make things happen, I can make them happen...

I am in a journey with God to know this trust full well and my girls are in the same journey also trying to believe these things...

One thing is for sure...it is a Journey

No comments:

Post a Comment