Monday, April 20, 2015

When you can't process, you blog...

So if you have spent anytime at all on my Facebook, or on social media at all over the last few days you have probably seen Josh's story. You have probably seen this unfolding nightmare that came out of nowhere...I just read a horrific version of this story which is probably accurate but as Josh and Melissa's friend it was VERY hard to read! So I decided to write my own story...

Meet Josh and Melissa- I met Josh through Andy when Josh and Melissa were expecting their twins. Josh and Andy worked the same wheel and same shift together. Andy told Josh that I was at home at night and could help out when their twins were born. Who knew that would be the beginning of something so beautiful. The girls were born in December of that year and over that next year Melissa and I did a lot of rocking, changing diapers, feeding, and holding sleeping babies while we laughed, cried and bonded. It was over the course of this, sour patch kids, sweet tea, and countless chick flicks that Melissa and I grew to be friends. Melissa was always a hard worker, always calm, always crafty, always the comforter. Over the years Andy and I continued to grow closer to Josh and Melissa and their children. They joined our church, we did countless lunch/dinner times together, dog sitting and our lives continued to get knit together...they are our people. 

Somewhere along that journey Andy and I started Pro Deo and for as long as I can remember they have helped out with Pro Deo. Josh grilling out hot dogs, bringing the twins over to eat at our house with the teens, Josh driving for events, delivering Christmas presents to our teens. Melissa helping at girls night, bringing food for events...you need anything and one or both of them are there. This past August I was able to bring Melissa on as our Administrative Director because her skill set works really well at balancing my...well let's say LOUD self. She keeps me organized, on task, takes all of the burdens of daily life off of me...in many regards I wouldn't be "me" if it wasn't for her. 

So let me tell you about what I know about Josh through our friendship with them:
Josh LOVES his job! He loves being a cop, he loves being a part of that brotherhood. He helps out on the department with things they are doing, takes overtime where he can, and always goes above and beyond the call of duty. He within the past year got promoted to being a detective which he also LOVES! He is proud of the work he does, he is proud of what he brings to the department, and he works very hard at what he does. 
Josh LOVES his family. When Josh is not at work you can find him playing zombie games, sword fights with his girls, being a super hero (I mean who has twin girls and by the time they were 4 could pretty much name most if not all the marvel characters), or wrestling around. You can always see the spark in his eye that he has for his wife and anytime she would let him he would steal a kiss from her. He is in all aspects of the word a family man and a man that loves them to their core. 

I guess I got so emotional reading some of the stories that are out there now on Josh because they may share the "facts" but they don't know Josh. They don't know that he will bust his ass to be a Husband, father, and cop again. He will and is fighting every day to walk out of that hospital. Their story doesn't depict the hope that comes when a whole community steps up and prays for a man's journey.  Their story doesn't show the power of what God can do or the healing that can take place. Their story doesn't show the ripple effect that his story is having on this community. This family is LOVED, this family has HOPE, this family is FIGHTING...so you may have the facts but I know that God is greater than the facts. God can heal Josh, God can comfort Melissa, God can continue to raise up an army to take care of their family. So I might not be a journalist but what I can tell you is that there is HOPE. 

One more thing I am processing through this all:
I am proud of the LSPD. Being a police officer in this world is not glamorous any more. I get on Facebook daily only to find another post of F the police. Gone are the days where little kids long to be police officers. Everyone wants to talk about what cop stopped them, how this cop made the wrong choice, etc, etc. As a wife who loves her police officer it has been an INCREDIBLY hard year listening to all of the criticism of his profession. But in a situation like Josh's there is no other field I would rather my husband be in. What other field could you be in where your co-workers are there around the clock supporting you, they are around the clock taking care of your spouse and children. They are taking care of meals, working on the lawn, getting chocolate milk for the girls' breakfast...this "brotherhood" people speak of is real, it is powerful, and it is profoundly humbling to watch it unfold before my eyes. So say what you want about police officers but this department has knocked my socks off in my expectations for what a brotherhood would be like and I am proud to be a part of this family.

Josh- We love you. We are praying for you fervently...and banding together with the rest of the community taking care of your family so that you can focus on the fight ahead of you. Sending you hugs and prayers constantly. 

Melissa- Girlfriend...you have got some badass super hero strength(maybe that's why Josh is such a huge fan of yours)! I am in awe of the week you have had and your ability to walk through each day. I admire you for how you take each day and how you stand by Josh through this all while caring for your precious babies. I admire your strength even when you don't feel like you have any. I admire you as a wife and a mom. Your journey ahead of you is going to be long, it's probably going to be hard...we will not leave you. Not after this week, not after this year, we are in this forever with you, we are committed to you and to your family. When your strength is gone, when calm cucumber has walked out the door...we will come pick you up for some sour patch kids till our tongues are numb and then we will go back hand and hand to face the day again. 

This feels more like what I wanted to read tonight...these are the other "facts"


No comments:

Post a Comment